5 Main Causes of Knee Pain and how to cure it?
Your knee can hurt or be in pain for a myriad of reasons. The reasons can either be the mechanical origin, injuries, and/or arthritis origin. Nevertheless, the knee joint is vulnerable in many ways; e.g. age, obesity, family history, repetitive and overuse can all cause pain in the knee over time. Often, however, awareness and education of the risk factors and preventative measures will be just enough. For more severe pain, on the other hand, it may require medical attention, but know all your options for treatment.
Listed below is one of the five (5) main causes of knee pain;
- Osteoarthritis: pain from the destruction of the knee joint due to degeneration and/ or destruction of the joint.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: an autoimmune inflammatory disorder that is chronic in nature and causes painful swelling and can cause joint deformity, bone erosion and instability in the joint.
- Bursitis: this is an inflammation of the bursa in the joint (behind the knee) often occurs due to repetitive overuse and injury to the knee.
- Tendinitis: this pain normally occurs in the front of the knee (around the kneecap) this type of pain is often made worse when climbing, taking stairs, or walking up an uphill or incline.
- Sprains/strains: pain from the stretching and tearing of the muscle or tendon in the knee joint. Whereas a sprain indicates an overstretched or tearing of the ligaments in the knee. Special tests specific to the knee joint can be applied to determine if X-rays, CT scans or MRI’s are needed to confirm which structures are affected.
Q: How to cure knee pain?
Prevention and awareness are vital for this joint or any joint to maintain health well into our old age. Exercise that combines stability, strength, flexibility and endurance training is a good start. In addition, keeping your body balanced, in good posture through Chiropractic care can ensure your knee joints functioning properly as it works synergistically with the spine, hips and ankles. Lastly, your awareness of your family health history e.g. gout can also help to prevent future problems.
Have a question about chiropractic adjustments or want to schedule an appointment? Call us now
Article Written By:
MARC CALAUNAN B.SC., D.C.
Clinical Director @ Healing Hands Chiropractic